Monday 29 October 2007

The Ballad of the Yellow Soup

Carrot and celeriac

Caraway and cumin trace

Buck took them and he mulched them

For the Yorkshire provender.


Jack Buck he sojourns pretty lone,

He takes his brown beard on and off,

He talks to his suppliers and

He dreams of Beorhtnoth.


"Dig them out, them carrot roots

Wash them, mash them through

They give us an aesthetic

In an optimistic goo"


So I bought it from the provender

'Neath Jericho's rampart

Now come and sup this soup with me

Provender of my heart


Mister Buck is not good looking

Neither is celeriac

But I am dark and smouldering

And visually Assyriac -


Liquid sunlight under stars

Swig it back then dream

Of the effects it might have had

Granted a little cream -


But caraway and care away

You will not come with me to drink

Which makes me want to writhe and howl

And hurl Buck's potage down the sink,


Because I would eat dill for you,

As gravadlax or on its own,

Because I would spurn lamb for you,

Carved from the most succulent bone,


And now I'm just a cumin seed

I hope that Buck goes bankrupt soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a cumin too.

Anonymous said...

I am a carrot.

Anonymous said...

I like to cumin my hand and then throw it at dogs


(joking, joking...)


(...cats)

angelheadedhipster said...

Very good indeed - where is Breohtnothe (mis-spelt)?

Vashti's suitor said...

Beorhtnoth (I can't spell him either) is the hero of the Battle of Maldon, which I haven't read. I was merely examining Mr Buck's penchant for alliteration in his soup manufacturing.

Anonymous said...

Ode To The Blue Soup

O soup of blue! how art thou?
Like glue through and through,
Vivid coloured, a bow
to your creator! The Orator.