Wednesday 16 January 2008

Droplet trail

When I wallowed in the culvert, I held deep converse

With a synaesthetic slug who loved a snail.

“Sir,” I said, inclining my head, “I intend

To write yet more verse.”

“Orange,” he replied, “and yet, here’s the rub,

She! She is aquamarine.”


When I found her she proved to be a witch

Whose glistening was worn and carried off well.

“My lady,” I gasped, “tell me about Love.”

And she stretched out her shining frame and

Promised me the earth – if I’d only

Net the sea.


Now I once knew an island there.

So I set out in search. I called out her name,

The island’s; seven hundred and eighty-nine

Songs told me that Europe now had her.

“Boy, you don’t need her, you don’t need us,

You don’t need the sea – ‘snot your calibre”


I wondered, true, if it was a question

Of technique. Should I try Moments?

Slug? Witch? Sounds?

“No,” said Dylan and the faculty,

“Keep yourself about you.

What else do you know?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you.

angelheadedhipster said...

Brilliant - really. The problem perhaps is that there are so many good images and symbols that are gestured towards in passing that a reader might miss them and so miss how good the poem could be...maybe 'develop' your images a little more, or assert them, i don't know. Anyway very good.

Vashti's suitor said...

Terseness, Sammy, the great sages of the east used very very light brushes

Maria Paz said...

ezra pound was very interested in the concept of brushstrokes