Sunday 27 April 2008

Held Up

“What kept you?” she said with a waft of wound

Perfection in the creases and the air.

“Where have you been ever since you made over

Your frame and redly vowed to do me right?”

She was silent while she said this but I

Give her sentiments I used myself afterwards.

And I flicked out this answer from its case –

“Ever, ever so busy; a commission

To parody everyone else, then me;

My studies” – here I drew in breath –

“The world of politics” – her brow grew girdled –

“The theatre, the chorus and the lash

(Nelsonwise or demotic). Even now

I am obliged to frolic fast away.

I came here just to pick up my effects…”

“Leave now,” said the muse, “and I must leave you.”

Her voice – an excellent thing in woman – finely low,

I inattentive let it slide. I bolted.