Thursday 4 September 2008

'Please Explain'

Do you ever have those nightmares

Which though horrid are compelling

Enough to book a postchaise

Foam-flecked worn-down attempt?

I have chartered that compartment

For a restive shop-soiled sleep

Because a detail usually needs firming up.


Let me stop you there, my darling,

Let us step that jig again,

Why exactly are we lost for good?

What was the nature of...ah, well,

This was one of the silent movies.


I want to know my wreaking hands

Have full possession of the brute

Aggression, gone unspent by day.

Did I really smash the fat old liar's

Spectacles again?


It's not the rollercoaster stab

Which I've never invited. No:

It's about truth in falsehood, checks,

Corroborations, or exactitude,

A veering hope of pardon or vision.


I want, often, a re-run with sub-titles.

No comments: