Saturday 2 May 2009

Villanelle - "After Sasha"

It was no causal embering of the heart –
No pattern falling out, no steps outlaid;
It was where you and I would love, and part.

Nor as it had been by the page’s art,
The culture section where Miss Grey lay, splayed,
When embers swam and coursed my idle heart.

Congealed time must end by rapid start;
The consequence drew out my gasping, flayed,
Caught from the place where we’ve been used to part.

A strong line froze out a precision dart,
A complementary light lay thinly made;
But riot bellows blaze my, still your heart.

She was notorious, the queenly mart,
As she lay printed, the cruel pinner maid,
I dropped her where I tried to live and part.

A slimline guide to ways to writhe and smart?
She was a type perfected for and paid –
A causal muse, who smudged this ashing heart,
The hour you and I learned to love, and part.

No comments: